Inuvialuit Regional Corporation (IRC) invites applications for the position of Communications Manager based in Inuvik, NT. Reporting to the Director of Operations, Culture and Communications; the Communications Manager is responsible for the development of a comprehensive and effective communications and media relations strategy. The Manager is a highly skilled communicator and rational thinker who can synthesize and summarize information into compelling and targeted communications that will elevate IRC's public profile. The ideal candidate has a proven ability to build organizational awareness and create a vision for the future communications activities that are beneficial to the ISR and the Inuvialuit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain a communications strategy that includes; goals, budget and tactics that will be communicated to target audiences (i.e. Beneficiaries, staff, government, youth, public, etc.)
- Work collaboratively to plan and execute projects, set and achieve realistic goals, manage multiple concurrent projects through prioritization and scheduling and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Create, maintain, and update communications materials including newsletters (print and email), corporate brochures, annual reports, profiles, photos, videos, presentations and promotional material for the target audiences.
- Responsible for Media Relations including the writing and distribution of Press Releases, managing media inquiries and interview requests, building a media database, and cultivating relationships with external stakeholders.
- Consult and liaise with internal departments and partners to support communication strategies and develop materials that will bring greater visibility and understanding of programs and events within the ISR.
- Monitor and maintain IRC’s presence on all active media platforms, including web, social media and print, radio and television.
- Plan, design and organize corporate sponsored events, including the management of event details and staff requirements. Provide support to regional/community initiatives and events.
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and industry media to engage audiences across traditional and new media.
- Responsible for responding to beneficiaries’ queries and concerns (from social media) and directing them to the appropriate individual/department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communications or a related discipline.
- Exceptional writing skills with knowledge and experience of writing styles according to platform needs.
- Extensive experience in managing and maintaining social media and websites using Hootsuite, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Mail Chimp.
- Proven track record designing and executing successful Communications campaigns at both a local and national level.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud for graphic design, web page editing, photo editing, and other software tools.
- Excellent photography skills with familiarity with using videos in communications.
- Proven ability to build organizational awareness that move communications initiatives forward.
- Experience in acting as a corporate spokesperson; skilled in both broadcast and print media interviews.
- Knowledge of Inuvialuit Regional Corporation, the Inuvialuit Settlement Region, history, and culture.
- Ability to travel and work weekends periodically and have the flexibility to work overtime as needed.
Priority consideration will be given to beneficiaries of the Inuvialuit Final Agreement.
Deadline to apply is September 21, 2018.
Should this exciting opportunity interest you, please submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to: