This week the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation held its 42 Directors in Inuvik, NT.
Board Members from the Tuktoyaktuk, Paulatuk, Ulukhaktok, Sachs Harbour, Aklavik, and Inuvik Community Corporations attended, along with youth representatives from each community and representatives from each community’s Elders Committee.
The primary focus of the meeting was to build the Strategic Plan that will guide IRC’s strategic goals for years to come. During the meeting, board members and representatives shared views and gave input on a wide range of topics including Inuvialuit successes in:
- Advancement of Inuvialuit laws, including implementation of our own Child Wellbeing Law
- Inuit-specific policy and program design with the Federal government through the Inuit Nunangat Policy
- Significant increases in Beneficiary employment within Management roles at IRC
- Expansion of the Elders Home Repair Program to provide further upgrades and renovations to Inuvialuit Elders’ homes
- Expansion of the Inuvialuit School Foods Program
- Increasing Inuvialuit Data Sovereignty through Inuvialuit-led science
- Record benefits delivered directly to Inuvialuit Beneficiaries
- Unprecedented growth in Community Corporations endowments
- Many other significant accomplishments by the entire IRC team
The three-day meeting was fully catered with food processed through IRC’s food processing plant and harvested by Inuvialuit within our Region. The meeting concluded with a community feast and an unprecedented and truly incredible drum dance performance by all the drummers and dancers brought here from across the ISR.
IRC would like to extend a HUGE THANK YOU to each and every Director from Paulatuk, Aklavik, Ulukhaktok, Sachs Harbour, Tuktoyaktuk and Inuvik. Your input, guidance and confidence in the IRC Board and its staff will ensure we continue to grow as an organization and deliver meaningful services for all Inuvialuit.
Quyanaq, Quyanainni, Koana!
Duane Ningaqsiq Smith
Chair & Chief Executive Officer