Information regarding the use of Territorial lands should be directed to the Government of Northwest Territories Department of Lands. In the case of National Parks, it is best to contact Parks Canada or Environment and Climate Change Canada.

However, access to Inuvialuit private lands that is more than casual and individual in nature requires permission from Inuvialuit. Accordingly, Inuvialuit Land Administration (ILA) issues rights to access both 7(1)(a) and 7(1)(b) lands (see below).

The Inuvialuit Settlement Region covers 1,172,749 square kilometres. Within this area, Inuvialuit own approximately 15,000 square kilometres of subsurface lands – referred to as 7(1)(a) lands – and appoximately 90,000 square kilometres of surface lands – referred to as 7(1)(b) lands.

Land Use Application System

ILA utilizes an internet-based Land Use Application System (LUAS), which allows applicants to submit applications to and work with ILA online throughout the project cycle.

The Land Use Application System provides:

  • A portal for proponents to make applications online.
  • Proactive comment management for stakeholders.
  • Access to project details for members of the public.